We specialise in removals throughout the UK and Europe.
Moving is one of the most stressful times in your life – so to make it easy we have put together our easy moving guide to help make things a little easier on you.
Here is a list of some important things for you to remember prior to your move.
UP TO ONE MONTH AHEAD
- Plan ahead. Arrange and confirm your moving date as far in advance as possible.
- Talk to our estimator about packing cases. He will be able to tell you how many you should need based on your estimate.
- Make a list of the fixtures and fittings you’re leaving behind. Also make a detailed list of all the main items you will be taking with you, with costings and dates of purchase for insurance purposes.
- Ensure passport, visas and all personal documents are retained.
- If you are moving out of your local area cancel any club memberships, notify schools, colleges, Doctors and Dentists of your departure. Get copies of your medical records.
- You can arrange to have your mail re-directed for a small charge through the Royal Mail redirection service. Tel. 08457 740 740 or CLICK HERE for the Royal Mail redirection service website.
- Organise to transfer or close any bank accounts and look at the tax implications of moving to your new destination (your local Inland Revenue office should be able to help) Make a note to cancel milk, papers and pay off any local bills. Contact your local council for any rebate due on your council tax.
UP TO THREE WEEKS AHEAD
- Sort out the loft, attics, garage and sheds and contact Fox’s Removals if you require any additional or supplementary storage.
UP TO TWO WEEKS AHEAD
- Dismantle furniture that is not designed to be moved when assembled.
- Put safety first. Arrange for a professional disconnection of your kitchen appliances.
- Organise to have gas, electricity and water meters read on the morning of your move and to have the telephone disconnected and any bills forwarded to you new address.
- If you rent a TV or video don’t forget to organise for its collection.
- Start running down the contents of the fridge and freezer.
DURING THE LAST WEEK
- Put all your important documents, birth and marriage certificates etc., in one place and keep them with you on your journey
- Double check with Fox’s Removals what time we will be arriving and any other details pertaining to your move.
- Keep all your valuables with you and don’t forget emergency supplies, such as medicines.
- If you are taking lawn mowers or other power equipment, drain out petrol and oil.
- Defrost fridges and freezers.
- Label all your furniture clearly (coloured dots are a good system!) and draw up a plan of your new home, marking rooms with corresponding dots. This will help us put everything in the correct room for you when we arrive at your new home.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR MOVE
- Let us pack your furniture and possessions for you – We are professionally trained and will take a lot of the strain off you.
- Pack everything you are taking yourself, including suitcases etc., into your car or stow in a safe corner to make sure they don’t get packed away in the the removal lorry.
- Before the removal lorry leaves, check that nothing has been forgotten and bear in mind that it’s your responsibility to see that nothing is moved by mistake. If no-one is moving into your old property immediately, remember to turn off the power at the mains and drain/turn off the water supply. Make sure the house is secure, then hand the keys over to your estate agents.